what is it?
who needs it?
use it on a Mac
use it on a PC
Windows & Linux
take a quiz
use it from my site
Hebrew for ME
tips & tricks
is now available as a Java Web Start application!
Java Web Start is a software delivery technology from Sun Microsystems, Inc. that allows a
full-featured application to be launched through a single click on a webpage.
this means that highly desirable features usually associated with desktop application software
can now be delivered in a web-based environment.
All functions of the newSLATE Java applet plus:
- faster startup
- resizable screen for larger work area
- copy and paste from other desktop software (with paid subscription)
- printing for study materials and quizzes (with paid subscription)
Mac OS X 10.2+
Java Web Start is built-in.
Click on the
newSLATE Java Web Start logo below.
NOTE: If you have updated your Java to version 1.4.1 using Software Update, please read this.
Java Web Start is not available for Mac OS 8/9.
PC Windows & Linux
Java Web Start technology is available as a free download from
To download the latest version of Java, which includes Java Web Start, follow these steps:
Now, click on the
Java Web Start logo below to run the Java Web Start version of
- Go to
- Click on "Download Now".
- Click on "Begin Download".
- You may see a security warning.
Make sure that the publisher is Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Then click "Yes" to continue.
- IMPORTANT: On the license agreement dialog box, select custom set up. Then click "Accept".
- Under the drop-down menu for "Support for Additional Languages," select the second entry ("This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed on local hard drive.").
Under the drop-down menu for "Additional Font and Media Support," select the second entry ("This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed on local hard drive.").
- Choose the browser(s) which you will use. Click "Next".
- Wait while download and installation complete, then click "Finish".
- Close and then re-open your browser.
using Java Web Start by clicking on this image:
The first time you click on this link, a security dialog will pop up.
It will say, "The application's digital signature has been verified. Do you want to run the application?"
The name listed will be newSLATE,
and the publisher ZigZag, Inc.
To run the Java Web Start version of
newSLATE, click "Run."
You will now see a dialog box asking to create desktop and start menu shortcuts for
newSLATE; click "Yes."
The Java Web Start version of
newSLATE will load in a new window.
You will now have a
newSLATE icon on your desktop.
You can run
newSLATE by double-clicking on the icon,
without visiting the newSLATE web site.