newSLATE about Java Web Start
newSLATE is now available as a Java Web Start application!
Java Web Start is a software delivery technology from Sun Microsystems, Inc. that allows a
full-featured application to be launched through a single click on a webpage.
For newSLATE, this means that highly desirable features usually associated with desktop application software
can now be delivered in a web-based environment.
All functions of the newSLATE Java applet plus:
- faster startup
- resizable screen for larger work area
- copy and paste from other desktop software (with paid subscription)
- printing for study materials and quizzes (with paid subscription)
Mac OS X 10.2+
Java Web Start is built-in.
Click on the newSLATE Java Web Start logo below.
NOTE: If you have updated your Java to version 1.4.1 using Software Update, please read this.
Java Web Start is not available for Mac OS 8/9.
PC Windows & Linux
Java Web Start technology is available as a free download from
To download the latest version of Java, which includes Java Web Start, follow these steps:
Now, click on the newSLATE Java Web Start logo below to run the Java Web Start version of newSLATE.
- Go to
- Click on "Download Now".
- Click on "Begin Download".
- You may see a security warning.
Make sure that the publisher is Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Then click "Yes" to continue.
- IMPORTANT: On the license agreement dialog box, select custom set up. Then click "Accept".
- Under the drop-down menu for "Support for Additional Languages," select the second entry ("This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed on local hard drive.").
Under the drop-down menu for "Additional Font and Media Support," select the second entry ("This feature, and all subfeatures, will be installed on local hard drive.").
- Choose the browser(s) which you will use. Click "Next".
- Wait while download and installation complete, then click "Finish".
- Close and then re-open your browser.
Download newSLATE using Java Web Start by clicking on this image:
The first time you click on this link, a security dialog will pop up.
It will say, "The application's digital signature has been verified. Do you want to run the application?"
The name listed will be newSLATE, and the publisher ZigZag, Inc.
To run the Java Web Start version of newSLATE, click "Run."
You will now see a dialog box asking to create desktop and start menu shortcuts for newSLATE; click "Yes."
The Java Web Start version of newSLATE will load in a new window.
You will now have a newSLATE icon on your desktop.
You can run newSLATE by double-clicking on the icon, without visiting the newSLATE web site.
Copyright © 2002-2006 ZigZag, Inc. All rights reserved.
ZigZag and ZigZagWorld are registered trademarks of ZigZag, Inc.
newSLATE technology is patented.